Which DVB-S2 device 4 Vista ?

giorusso

...I actually am under XP and like to know which PCI sat device would u buy now 4 dvb and dvb-s2 channels (free and pay-tv HDTV channels eventually); of course the good drivers support should be nice too as maybe (said maybe) I should upgrade my sistem to Vista.

Actuallly this is my HTPC conf:

HTreading P4 at 3.2Ghz with 1GB DDR2 with XPSP2, NVidia GT7800 video card (and last drivers and PureVideo)...also have CoreAVC h264 codec (last version); as sat card actually am using the good old SS2

Maybe if u can give experience on where to buy it would be nice.

Tnx.

A 3.2 P4 is to weak for DVB-S2 anyway. Yes, it will give you a picture, but not very enjoyable. I have a 3.6 P4, and while watching S2 H264 material works at anywhere between 60 to 100% cpu-load depending on channel, it stutters..

As for Vista, what's the hurry..:(..?

At the moment, there are no Vista drivers for the popular S2-cards, AFAIK.

• 3 weeks later...

The technisat/technotrend cards are all you need, no newer cards are gonna offer anything different, they work fine with vista and of course they have vista drivers. The skystar hd is just like askystar 2 which lets you watch hd as well, what more do you want?

HTreading P4 at 3.2Ghz with 1GB DDR2 with XPSP2, NVidia GT7800 video card (and last drivers and PureVideo)...also have CoreAVC h264 codec (last version); as sat card actually am using the good old SS2

Maybe if u can give experience on where to buy it would be nice.

Tnx.

I upgrade my HTPC from P4 2.54 (& DVB-S card) > P4 3.6 OC > 4.15( 1GRAM + Nvidia 7900GT & TT DVB-S2 3200) and this was not enough for demanding SVB-S2 channels, at the end I upgrade once again to E6700 and now it's working very good. With the most demanding channels (@ 20 Mbits/s + ) the CPU is at 20 - 35 % max.