Hardware acceleration of HD-channels with ATI HD2600 Pro

nyogtha

I guess I better start at the beginning.

I've got a four LNB setup with SPAUN diseqcs and a Hauppauge HVR-4000 DVB-S2 card.

I've set up my dish to receive 1w, 5e, 19e and 28e. I've updated my transponder lists to get most of the HD-channels (can't seem to find a list with the Sky HD-channels, but I don't have a Sky HD subscription anyway, so it doesn't really matter).

My PC is a Dual Core 6750 with 2gb very fast ram and as said in topic, a HD2600 Pro ATI-based card.

I've tried different decoders, including CoreAVC (crashes my DVBViewer), ffdshow (stuttering like mad) and now, after reading a lot and trying a lot, Cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD 7.x), from buying 7.3 ultra version of PowerDVD.

Playback of HD-channels (Canal + HD channels and BBC HD) works ok in overlay-mode as long as "Use DxVA" is OFF. If I try to enable it and reload the graph or change channel, I loose picture (black screen) but still get sound. With DxVA off CPU usually between 40 and 60%.

If I enable VMR9, CPU usage peaks at around 95%, I get ugly tearing in the top part of the picture, and choppy video on some channels.

Does anyone use DxVA acceleration with success?

Actually, while writing this, I'm now noticing that since last evening (when everything worked OK in overlay), the picture has now startet stuttering after a couple of minutes on all the HD-channels. Looks like a sync-issue or something. CPU-usage is no higher than usual.

Im confused!

you should use XP, Cyberlink H.264 Decoder latest Version and at least Catalyst 7.8. Together with Overlay Renderer and DXVA switched on I have a HD2600XT running perfectly smooth and with low CPU Usage. Good picture.

In VRM9 the card suffers also from the so called "Nvidia VRM 9 Bug".

you should use XP, Cyberlink H.264 Decoder latest Version and at least Catalyst 7.8. Together with Overlay Renderer and DXVA switched on I have a HD2600XT running perfectly smooth and with low CPU Usage. Good picture.

In VRM9 the card suffers also from the so called "Nvidia VRM 9 Bug".

Hmm, thanks for input. I've read other places that Catalyst 7.7 is the best version right now, but if you got it working with newer versions I'll try that.

Apart from that, I've tried the exact setup you describe, and I get no picture with DXVA enabled on BBCHD, Canal+ Film HD or Canal Plus HD. Only sound. As soon as I disable DXVA picture appears (after a rebuild graph or change channel).

It's a clean XP MCE install by the way.

I have almost the same setup, using DVBViewer 3.8.latest.beta on WinXP Pro, CoreDuo 6600, ATI 2600XT.

I get the best results using "unchanged' as video renderer.

BBC-HD, Euro1080-EXQI, HD2 and the Astra 264 demo channel give picture immediately, the three FTA german HD channels, Anixe, ProSieben-HD and SAT1-HD show the same as you mention: lots of time no picture at first tuning (but with sound). Rebuilding the graph a few times will usually solve the issue and give me sound and picture. I am using the Cyberlink decoder in DXVA, 7.3 ultra, latest patch.

I have no subscription to the Canal+ channels, so I am not able to try these.

BTW, catalyst 7.8, 7.9 and the latest 7.10beta work fine for me, the 7.7 continuously crashes my system when changing channels.

I use different CAM's to decode the channels; each CAM exposes different behaviour (for instance, with my Dutch CanalDigitaal mediagurad CAM inserted in the CI-module [Technotrend S2-3200 + CI] I can get no picture at all on the german FTA HD channels...), may be you'll have to search in that direction?

regards, Bert