dvb recording service and streaming to wmp or vlc

gjstroom

I am playing with the recording service, it already works for scheduled recordings.

I want to get the streaming working to a wmp or vlc client, what steps do I have to make, and what protocol is used for streaming ?

The number ports are giving me a headache, I found so far:

80 webinterface port (this one is clear !)

7522 streamserver port

4012 control server

2345 unicast server

3335 default port on the web interface when you want to stream (i think this port does not do anything)

Please help.

Direct VLC streaming for LAN.

- Open the webinterface.

- open the TVGuide/Timeline/EPG per channel (doesn't matter).

- select one EPG entry. The details windows does come up.

- In the EPG details window at the bottom is a play button (betwen the recording and the close button).

- select it. The Streaming window opens.

- In the streaming window Select: Player: "VLC", deselect "in Websbrowser", select "direct streaming" Do not change anything else.

- press the start stream button.

- Another windows open where you select start external player.

- open the playlist folowing file (a simple playlist) with vlc.

Note: For advanced streaming with transcoding you need to install VLC 0.86i on the PC where the service is running (and only there, client PCs can use the current VLC).

The above described direct streaming uses Port 80 (webserver) and Port 7522 (the streaming). Format is a (DVB)native TS Stream wrapped in http (imagine it as a continious download). This kind of streaming takes very few resources, transcoding (for streaming over the internet) needs a lot of CPU power.

7522 streamserver port -> UPnP and http (direct) streaming (UPnP try it with XBMC for windows).

4012 control server -> DVBViewer control protocol port, only for streaming to DVBViewer clients.

2345 unicast server -> DVBViewer streaming port, only for streaming to DVBViewer clients.

3335 default port on the web interface when you want to stream -> for transcoded streaming.

Direct VLC streaming for LAN.

- Open the webinterface.

- open the TVGuide/Timeline/EPG per channel (doesn't matter).

- select one EPG entry. The details windows does come up.

- In the EPG details window at the bottom is a play button (betwen the recording and the close button).

- select it. The Streaming window opens.

- In the streaming window Select: Player: "VLC", deselect "in Websbrowser", select "direct streaming" Do not change anything else.

- press the start stream button.

- Another windows open where you select start external player.

- open the playlist folowing file (a simple playlist) with vlc.

Thanks the direct streaming is working now !

What a cool feature. I've got regular Direct streaming working, but I also wanted to try Transcoded streaming, but I can't seem to get it working. I installed the 0.68i version of VLC, and although I get a message saying that it's streaming, I don't get the option to start the external player. My CPU load is also at 0%, suggesting there's no actual transcoding going on. Any suggestions?

Did you restart the service after installing the vlc?

Can you please post a screenshot of your settings in the streaming settings page (the one where you select in webbrowser, direct streaming etc...)?

Oh and did you remember to allow port 3335 with your firewall?

Port 3335 is open, and I just tried restarting the service, still didn't work.

Here are the settings I'm using.

settingsvl5.jpg

When I click Start Stream, I get the page saying "VLC Server is now streaming media.

WHEN DONE... click button to stop the VLC Server Stream." There a button to stop the stream, but not the option to start VLC I get with the Direct method. Does that sound right?

Just remember, if you want to stream via internet: start at the bottom and work your way up with the parametesr for audio and video. So first low bitrates and small picture and if this works, try the next higher settings. It does need some finetuning to get it work over a "small" bandwidth connection. :angry:

I've got 2.5mbit upstream, so it looks like I can get pretty decent quality with some of the more efficient codecs, although I'm slightly envious of a friend of mine who has 10mbit up, so he could probably stream most channels Direct.

Cool, I have it working with transcoding as well. I had the latest VLC player installed on the 'service' machine and that doesn't work !

Edited by gjstroom
  • 3 months later...
Port 3335 is open, and I just tried restarting the service, still didn't work.

Here are the settings I'm using.

settingsvl5.jpg

When I click Start Stream, I get the page saying "VLC Server is now streaming media.

WHEN DONE... click button to stop the VLC Server Stream." There a button to stop the stream, but not the option to start VLC I get with the Direct method. Does that sound right?

When I select start Stream, it gives the message that libvlccore.dll was not found. Should the VLC be installed in the DVBViewer directory ? I have not activate either the unicast or the multicast in the DVBViewer.

or should I start the VLC first first before starting the DVBViewer ?

When I select start Stream, it gives the message that libvlccore.dll was not found. Should the VLC be installed in the DVBViewer directory ? I have not activate either the unicast or the multicast in the DVBViewer.

or should I start the VLC first first before starting the DVBViewer ?

Sorry. Please ignore my question. it seems to stream.

• 11 months later...
Please deselect embedded. You might need a VLC plugin for your browser to use this. Just try it standalone first.

Hi Lars!

It is quite fun discovering all the features of Recording Service and the streaming feature works great, but there is one feature i cant get my head around.

I seem not to be abled to get embedded streaming to work and cant find any instructions on how to set this up. Could you help out?

I have VLC v.0.8.6 installed at server and v.1.05 on client with activex plugin choosen when installing it. How to establish the VLC activex plugin into IE8?

regards

majstang

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I'm having problems getting streaming to work in the recording service. There is no problem to stream recorded programs and files, however I do not get live TV to work. Can anyone give me some tips.

DVBViewer 4.5

Recording Service 1.6.5.2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, and sorry if I stole this thread. But my question also relates to streaming.

I got the streaming basicly working. Only thing I´m still missing is when I choose transcoding I cannot seek/jump/fast forward in the video. If I try to do it, the video starts from beginning.

This is really annoying when watching videos behind poor connection and connection breaks. After that video must viewed again from beginning.

I have tried several combinations (I think all) with transcoding but I cant get video seek working. Has anyone succeeded with this?

I also tried to find solution from vlc forums etc but no luck. Is this even possible in theory?

With direct stream it works but with too large bitstream to be sent around the world.

Recording Service 1.6.5.2

VLC v.0.8.6

cheers,

J

Hey,

Sorry to jump in, but can anyone put me in the right direction as to get the embedded/transcoding option working. I can get direct streaming working no problem - thats easy. When i try the embedded option i get {no video} where the video should be. Im using v. 0.8.6.1i have the plugin etc. Do i need to setup unicast devices for this one to work? or what?

Thanks

As far as I know I dont think anyone has got embedded streaming to work. Developer has never given detailed instruction on how to get it working and are always saying "Do not use the embedded option". There seem to be something wrong with the javascripts controlling this embedded streaming function. I do suspect when developer gets more time it will be fixed, cuz otherwise this function would have been removed a long time ago.

@daveyboyc & majstang

This config is working on my PCs over 100Mb lan (XP, VLC 1.1.5, WMP11):

post-485-0-73953800-1290883248_thumb.gif

Please whould you test if it's working also for you?

@daveyboyc

Actually the VLC v. 0.8.6.1 limit dont'exist anymore: you are encouraged to install the latest VLC version...

:bye:

Well, embedded streaming does not work for me tested on both XP and WIN7 with WM9 on XP and WMP11 on Win7 installed on the server computer.

A new behaviour which I havent noticed before is with RS 1.6.5.2 and using the Direct Connection streaming option and using WMP, RS now crashes on both systems. Can't restart RS and PC must be rebooted. When doing so I get BSOD on Win7 (BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER) and errorcode 1053. I will try my luck with a newer VLC the other day. Didnt get embedded streaming to work with 0.8.6 version before.

embedded streaming does not work for me

...but where's the problem?

Is VLC on the server starting? (you can check with "Sysinternals Process Explorer", even the start command line...)

Have you installed the WMP11 ActiveX on the client? Are the client browser permit to start ActiveX?

BTW (...maybe the most important part): I use IE7 with WMP11 ActiveX as client...

...Direct Connection...

I never haven't it working in any way...

...but where's the problem?

I don't know! Trying to figure it out takes too much time. I always use iphone streaming anyway. But if copying the html code from the RS embedded streaming window and exchange the URL to the path to a .ts recording of mine and manually open the saved htm-file the embedded streaming works, but the same code (with URL) does not from recording service. Difference is RS opens up a pop-up window and that could be why things goes wrong. Some setting in IE8 (Win7) and IE6 (WinXP) prevents WMP embedded streaming from working in pop-ups, while it works perfect if opened up in a new frame. It could also be there is something wrong with the javascript, but if you say you have it working this assumption would be wrong. I do use standard settings for both IE6 and IE8. Which ones are you using for your IE7? You must have tweaked the settings quite a bit for getting this to work. I even disabled all security settings and allowed pretty much everything without any success.

Edited by majstang
You must have tweaked the settings quite a bit for getting this to work
Not at all, it works on 3 PCs (all XPPro & IE7) but usually I set IE to don't block popup and have anti-phishing switched off...

But this clearly tell us that the problem is in calling the embedded WMP: not a promise, but as far I found some spare time I'll try to have a look on it...

Ok, I tried to improve embedded WMP behaviour (that for me works "out of the box"...) but unsuccessfully - at least untill now -...

But I managed to run embedded VLC, and - at least in my 3 PCs - it's really rock solid, fast and support very well on-the-fly channels change; I use last RS, XPpro, IE7 and VLC 1.1.5 everywhere; the settings suggested works very well also over a 11Mbps WLan...

If someone is interested and want to try it:

- stop Recording Service

- goto into "SVCweb" subfolder under DVBViewer main program folder

- make a backup copy of "streamint.html"

- copy in that folder my modded "stremint.html" you find in the "stremint.zip" attached below

- restart Recording Service

- use (as a first test) the following parameters to stream... and enjoy!

post-485-0-94714500-1291068725_thumb.gif

streamint.zip

Please let me know...

important step for latest rec service is: use vlc 1.1.5, with old one not working.

Vlc stream, or direct stream, is working, with some tweaks.

Vmc not working.

rec service 1.6.2.3 was ok , but latest rec service has some problems on stream.

@bogdan1980

Can you please explain more extensively what you find out, expecially:

1) "direct stream, is working, with some tweaks": witch ones?

2) "Vmc not working": Vmc? :blink:

...if you mean WMP here is working well with live TV and Recorded files...

...and, as told before, latest RS (AFAIK v. 1.6.5.2 Beta) streaming it's completely working for me (only except "direct stream", never seen working...)

Please let me know...

Nice! That modded streamint made embedded streaming work with VLC 1.15 from RS. With the original one it failed as usual. One thing though...the controls are missing. No way to control the volume and such. The EMBED code says ShowControls="1", but that is on the WMP. Do you think you could have a look at it?

Edited by majstang
No way to control the volume and such ... Do you think you could have a look at it?

Already had, but unfortunately it's a known bug of VLC ActiveX from VLC v. > 1.0.5; they loose some time ago the ActiveX mantainer programmer and until now they can't find someone other that can take care of it (I've read that in a VLC developers forum, but don't ask me exactly where...)

BTW, the only controls that can be implemented in a HTML page with actual v. of VLC ActiveX seems to be Play, Pause, Stop and Mute, IMO totally useless with live streaming...

Oh, that was unlucky, but this is BIG improvement anyhow...nice work Gioxy :thumbsup:

When using your modded streamint with the embedded WMP there is some progress as well. Now it doesnt get stuck on "Connecting". Instead it gets stuck on "Opening Media". Visualy it indicates some media soon is going to be played, but it never does. Do you have any ideas on why or how to get any further?

Can you please explain more extensively what you find out, expecially:

1) "direct stream, is working, with some tweaks": witch ones? ( with Embedded set to ON, and Muxer set to .ts, with any other settings stream not working for me.

2) "Vmc not working" ( i mean vmp, here not working at all with latest rec serv.)

Also, latest rec service not working at all with VLC 0.86 or other version, for me is with VLC 1.1.5( for server PC and clients).

@majstang:

WMP...some media soon is going to be played, but it never does...
Have you used the streaming parameter i posted above for WMP? I know this behaviuor, and (at least in my esperience) those parameters are extremely critical; whit mine it took 20-30 sec to start, but lastly it works; to speed up a little you can reduce WMP streaming cache to 1 sec...

I have already tried to improve also the streaming to a embedded WMP, but calling it with a <object ... > tag (the trick that make embedded VLC work) until now make thing worser...

@bogdan1980:

1) AFAIK "direct" is to be used withuot transcoding (so you can't set TS or other options, but it's streamed "as is", ie for DVB transmission "TS"), but I'll try to dig more deep in it...

2) try with my setting posted in #20

...Hoping no one is still using VLC 0.8.6...

@majstang:

Have you used the streaming parameter i posted above for WMP? I know this behaviuor, and (at least in my esperience) those parameters are extremely critical; whit mine it took 20-30 sec to start, but lastly it works; to speed up a little you can reduce WMP streaming cache to 1 sec...

I have already tried to improve also the streaming to a embedded WMP, but calling it with a <object ... > tag (the trick that make embedded VLC work) until now make thing worser...

Aha, you are right! I now see when getting one parameter wrong it fails. The critical ones are the muxer parameter and the Video Codec. They must be ASF and WMV2 for it to work with embedded WMP. NICE...now it works :lol: HOWEVER...this is very strange, cuz I did try these very settings with the old streamint and it wasn't working. As far as I can see you havent changed any html code besides for the VLC player, so I'm quite puzzled here. Difference with new and old streamint is the old one never asked me if I wanted to allow the ActiveX control. When allowing it for VLC (new streamint) it suddenly works also for WMP on these popup windows RS uses.

Another quirk I did notice with the working embedded WMP streaming client I'm not abled to fast forward (inactivated). The position slider seem to be disabled too. Well, these one should be fixable if finding the right html code for it. I'll do some searching.

Thanks Gioxy!

Edited by majstang
The critical ones are the muxer parameter and the Video Codec
...AND: encode Audio Mp3 <=96K... AFAIK WMP can cope only with ASF muxed stream unless you have installed other WMP specifically and proprietary (payed) decoders...

As far as I can see you havent changed any html code besides for the VLC player
??? Original code were:
<EMBED TYPE="application/x-vlc-plugin" name="video1" autoplay="yes" loop="no"  WIDTH="360"  HEIGHTH="288" target="http://{streamip}"></EMBED>

while my modded one is:

<object id="vlc" name="vlc" type="application/x-vlc-plugin" pluginspage="http://www.videolan.org" version="VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2" width="360px" height="288px" events="True" classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" >
     <param name="Src" value="http://{streamip}" /> 
     <param name="ShowDisplay" value="True" /> 
     <param name="AutoLoop" value="False" /> 
     <param name="AutoPlay" value="True" />
     </object>

with the working embedded WMP streaming client I'm not abled to fast forward (inactivated).
ATM can't be fixed because the only possible command passed to VLC server are the starting one; to FF the stream you have to change the way it was encoded by the VLC server and you can't modify this parameters with a only receiving client; anyway, if it where possible, the VLC server as to be stopped and restarted with new parameters... is it really worth the work?

BTW: I managed to improve a little the streaming to embedded WMP, but not yet the buffer lag and change channel whitout stop and restart WMP; I'll post here a further modded streamint soon...

@bogdan1980:

1) digged more on it and I can confirm: when "direct stream" is checked any other options are grayed out and inifluent (anyway after check this option you have to click on a empty space in the window to see that...) but now it works flawlessy (I have to admit that I was not testing this option from many RS versions ago...) and the right (unique? ...is a TS stream...) client to use to display the stream is VLC...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

was trying few time to setup streaming through VLC or WMP but did not worked. Not how to set it in DVBViewer because there is dvbrecording service, netstream plugin etc... I am understand that i have to send it through network and received it on other side.

So How do i send the signal, to Dvbserver?

Is it through netstream plugin or unicast/multicast device in DVBViewer properties?

How do i have to set my cards please?

What is difference betw unicast and multicast, is it that i can send or receive more than i stream with multicast?

Thanks in advance.

My setup:

1. FireDTV S2

2. Nova HD S2

Windows 7 32bit.

• 10 months later...

Gioxy, your streamint modded not workin with vlc 1.1.11, DVBViewer 4.9, rec 1.9.2.0 and IE8, Chrome.

Direct stream work with vmp and vlc, i could use transcoded with both, but embedded not working at all.

Edited by bogdan1980

Hi bogdan, I can easily agree with you (even if I haven't tested it): I'm pretty sure my old modding are to be modded again for new versions of all implied sw... but sorry, ATM I have no time to try, test & mod again...

But when RS 1.9.2.0 come out I installed all cited new sw versions on a test PC to update it's italian translation (whithout move/copy any configration from my working RS PC...) and I noticed that - at least - VLC embedded play worked fine at first try whitout any intervention, boht on the RS PC and on a LAN client... so, if you need it strongly, maybe a clean RS unistall/cleaning/reinstall can be worth a try...

i see yesterday embedded stream with httpserver 1.5.0, here, in stream windows, we have vlc and wmp, i choose wmp and embedded was working in chrome, and ie, with vlc 086.

With rec service, vlc 086 or 1.xx not working. Maybe one day it will be working:)