EVR Troubles

Incast

I've just moved to DVBViewer and have been very impressed by this TV viewer.

However, I'm having real difficulty getting EVR to function properly. My problem basically is that EVR initially will playback as expected, deinterlacing to perfection in Vector Adaptive Mode on my ATI Radeon 4870. But after a random amount of time the deinterlacing will encounter problems and there will be a number of frames where it is no longer smooth. It seems to jump backwards and forwards before settling down once again. The problem then re-occurs at a random interval.

Has anyone else experienced anything else like this? The easiest way to check is to watch a BBC News/BBC World News bulletin for 30 minutes and see if the ticker plays smoothly throughout.

I've tried to trace the source of this problem, so far I've changed:

Graphics Driver Settings - Forced deinterlacing modes, no change

Graphics Drivers - No affect between 9.1 and 9.2 ATI Catalyst Drivers

MPEG2 Decoders -PowerDVD7.3/PowerDVD8/ATI/Microsoft tried, all same result

DVBPlayer Settings - I've changed everything in the program which I think could be linked.

I have also noted the problem on DVD Playback, ruling out this being a DVB card issue.

This problem is similar to issues I've encountered with Windows Media Player. The only application I have found to be perfect with EVR is Media Center in full screen. As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is that Media Center has a form of exclusive rendering mode in full screen, can something similar be achieved on DVBViewer?

Edited by Incast

Yes, I share your problems. In my case, it also depends on the source material, e.g the channel watched. There are some german TV channels that almost never have any problem, and others with almost constant issues like this. It seems to depend on the bitrate in some way, the better the source channel (higher bitrate), the less problems occur. What's also funny, is that with even on one and the same channel, it varies heavily with the picture format. When they broadcast in 16:9, very few problems. When they broadcast in 4:3, it's much worse.

And yes, there is a way to use EVR Fullscreen Exclusive. See this plugin:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=29571

CU,

Massimo

Thanks for your response, I'm very relieved that I am not alone with this issue. I've installed that plugin and will test it thoroughly later, am I correct in saying that this did not resolve the problem for you?

• 2 weeks later...

After finally having some time again, I've managed to thoroughly test this plugin.

The good news is that exclusive render mode does indeed fix the problem I described, and as with Media Center in full screen the video now plays perfectly.

However, an unfortunate side-effect occurs: The audio gradually falls out of sync with the video in this mode - very frustrating.