Downscale in EVR Custom worse than under EVR

ter9999

Don't know if somebody has already noticed that the downscale video quality is worse under EVR Custom than under EVR. Please see below comparision, upper snapshot is under EVR which apparently has better quality. The channel is 1920x1080i native resolution in a small windowed mode in DVBViewer 4.3.

10031300104738b46c2adb953e.jpg

They both look the same (very good) at 1920x1080 full screen mode under EVR Custom and EVR. My setup is in the signature. Please try to make the downscale quality better under EVR Custom.

Best regards.

The bilinear DirectX scaler used within the Custom Presenter may not be the best one I suppose..

Edited by CiNcH

Not only the station logo, but also some ticker runs wormy in windowed mode under EVR Custom.

Is that possible to allow selecting scaler for EVR Custom or just use the best one or just use the EVR one?

It is possible to have different scalers, but not as easy to implement as you may think, either via DirectX (see MediaPortal, I don't know how well an Anisotropic Filter performs for video however) or via custom shaders (see MPC-HC with bicubic or madVR with lanczos/spline). Moreover, no developer really seems to be interested in optimizing the Customs. So I think that we have to live with the problems and limitations for the time being.

Edited by CiNcH

"EVR Custom" is a great addition to 4.3 version of DVBViewer, the scaler quality indeed needs to be improved than current implementation. Hope this can be improved in the coming (final) version, it may not be less quality than EVR wrt scaler. :)